M.Tech programs through the GATE at IIT Bombay
Posted by Shruti Karnik under
General on December 13, 2018
The finest of IITs, the IIT Bombay offers a range of M.Tech programs. Selection is based on valid three years’ GATE score only.
The Institute offers programmes based on course work: Master of Technology (M. Tech.), Master of Design (M. Des.) and Master of Management (M. Mgt).
The Institute admits about 400 students every year for its course programmes. The number includes about 50 sponsored candidates from the Defense Services, Defense Research and Development Organization, Indian Space Research Organization, NTRO, BARC, NAL, CPRI, KSRTC, BMTC, PWD and BDA and faculty members from engineering colleges under the Quality Improvement Programme.
Candidates can choose to apply to a maximum of 5 disciplines from the M Tech and M Des programmes.
Candidates with qualifications in BE / B.Tech. or an equivalent degree should have qualified and hold valid GATE score card
Departments offering M.Tech
- Intake: 21
- Qualification with required GATE paper: BE / B. Tech. or equivalent degree with a GATE score in AE; CE; CH; EC; EE; ME.
- Areas of study: Structures; Aerodynamics; Propulsion; Control and Guidance of Aircraft; Rockets and Spacecraft.
- Intake: 20
- Qualification with required GATE paper: BE / B. Tech. or equivalent degree with a GATE scores in CH.
- Areas of study: Catalyst design and synthesis; Cell membranes and soft interfaces; Computational biology; therapeutic engineering; host-pathogen interactions; and dynamics of infectious diseases; Energy storage in batteries and supercapacitors; gas hydrates; High resolution single molecule techniques to probe nanoscale biosystems; Microfluidics and soft solids; Modelling; optimization and control of bioreactors; Nanotechnology for sensors; actuators; fuel and solar cells; Polymer degradation; Reaction engineering in multifunctional and microreactors; Rheology and dynamics of powders; and suspensions of living and nonliving matter; Water remediation/purification; activated carbon fabric.
- Discipline: Civil Engineering (CE) Major and Minor in Areas of Study
- Intake: 40
- Qualification with required GATE paper: BE / B. Tech. or equivalent degree with a GATE score in CE.
- Areas of study: Geotechnical Engineering; Water Resources and Environmental Engineering; Structural Engineering.
Computer Science & Engineering
- Intake: 58
- Qualification with required GATE paper: BE / B.Tech. or equivalent degree with a GATE Paper in CS.
- Areas of study: Theoretical Computer Science: Algorithms; Complexity Theory; Combinatorial Optimization; Graph Theory; Information and Coding Theory; Cryptography; Cryptology; Computational Geometry; Computational Topology; Algorithmic Algebra; Computational Biology; Automata Theory; etc.
- Department: Electronic Systems Engineering
- Intake: 36
- Qualification with required GATE paper: BE / B.Tech. or equivalent degree with a valid GATE in EE; EC; CS; IN or M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Physics; Mathematics; Statistics; Electronics; Computer Science or Photonics with a valid GATE Paper in EE; EC; CS; IN)
(M Sc or equivalent degree holders should possess 2 years’ experience in Electronics hardware.
- Areas of study: Communication Networks; Embedded Systems; Power Conversion; VLSI Design; Electronics Systems Packaging; Electro Magnetic Compatibility; Analog Circuits; Mechatronics; Product Engineering. Signal Processing and Information Theory; VLSI Systems Architecture.
- Intake: 28
- Qualification with required GATE paper: BE/ B.Tech. or equivalent degree with a GATE Paper in ME.
- Areas of study: Solid Mechanics; Finite Element Analysis; Computer Aided Design; Non-Linear Dynamics; Vibration; Technical Acoustics; Design of Mechanical Systems; Robotics; Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems; Nano-Mechanics; Biomechanics; Tribology; Advanced Manufacturing Process; Material Science; Fluid Mechanics; Heat Transfer; I C Engines; Combustion; Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning.
Metallurgical Engineering & Materials Science (MM)
- Intake: 34
- Qualification with required GATE paper: BE / B Tech or equivalent degree with a GATE Paper in CH; ME; MT; XE.
- Areas of study: Materials: Structural Alloys (light metal; superalloys; refractory metals); Shape Memory Alloys; Engineering Ceramics; Nanomaterials; Electronic Materials; Ferroelectrics and Multiferroics; Polymer Blends and Nanocomposites; Organic Photovoltaics. Phenomena, etc.
Other departments offering non-conventional research programs through the GATE:
- Cross Departmental Programme- Materials, Manufacturing and Modeling (MMM)
- Center of Studies in Resources Engineering
- Energy Science & Engineering
- Industrial Engineering & Operations Research
- Systems & Control Engineering
- Environmental Science & Engineering
- Centre For Technology Alternatives For Rural Areas(CTARA) (Technology And Development)
- Biosciences & Bioengineering
The GATE score and the score in subsequent aptitude test/ personal interview/ group discussion, as decided by the department decides the admission of the candidate for the M. Tech. program. In the case of candidates with equal GATE score, their performance in the qualifying examination will be used to resolve the tie.
The final list is displayed on the IISc website by mid-week of May of the same year.
To know the IIT-Bombay 2018 Cut off list, click here
Subscribe to get notified for more free blogs in the GATE informative series.